The V proteins of paramyxoviruses are composed of two evolutionarily distinct domains, the N-terminal 75 % being common to the viral P, V and W proteins, and not highly conserved between viruses, whilst the remaining 25 % consists of a cysteine-rich V-specific domain, which is conserved across almost all paramyxoviruses. There is evidence supporting a number of different functions of the V proteins of morbilliviruses in blocking the signalling pathways of type I and II IFNs, but it is not clear which domains of V are responsible for which activities and whether all these activities are required for effective blockade of IFN signalling. We have shown here that the two domains of rinderpest virus V protein have distinct functions: the N-terminal domain acted to bind STAT1, whilst the C-terminal V-specific domain interacted with the IFN receptor-associated kinases Jak1 and Tyk2. Effective blockade of IFN signalling required the intact V protein.
J Gen Virol
44 - 51
Animals, Cell Line, Humans, Interferons, Janus Kinase 1, Phosphorylation, Protein Structure, Tertiary, Rinderpest, Rinderpest virus, STAT1 Transcription Factor, Signal Transduction, Viral Proteins